Thursday, April 2, 2009

Workforce New York

After being laid off I applied for and began receiving unemployment insurance. I recently received a letter with some forms to fill out and directing me to report to the Peekskill Workforce New York office today.

This proved relatively painless. After a bit of a delay about 20 of us listened to a talk of about 40 minutes giving general information and job hunting tips. We also received a sheet of paper on which we are supposed to document our job hunting efforts lest we lose our eligibility to collect unemployment. However the lecturer took pains to explain that eligibility is handled by a separate organization in Albany.

The majority of people in our group were also laid off by my former employer although I didn't recognize any of them. Some them seemed interested in socializing afterwards but I was worried my parking meter was running out so I didn't stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment