Thursday, June 25, 2009

Taken Polygraph

Tuesday afternoon I drove down to Baltimore for the polygraph test required for my security clearance. The drive took about 4 hours with only minor traffic delays. A reservation had been made for me in a hotel near the facility which does the exams.

The exam itself was scheduled for 11:30 Wednesday. You aren't told immediately if you have passed. However the exam appeared to go smoothly and only lasted about 90 minutes which I gather is a good sign.

I have some doubts about effectiveness. I won't detail my reasons as this might help someone beat the exam which I have no particular interest in doing. And the process does have a certain sobering effect as it emphasizes that the government takes security very seriously. Something to consider before accepting any job offers which may be forthcoming.

The drive back took a bit longer as I stopped once for food and gas and also ran into some traffic delays. Still I was back by 7pm.

1 comment:

  1. Considering that polygraph technology hasn't changed much in generations, I wonder if the polygraph is largely an intimidating prop useful in the hands of a skilled interrogator to psychologically break down the defenses of somebody with something to hide.

    ReplyDelete