Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Commuting

I have been driving to the Westchester County Courthouse in White Plains to serve on a grand jury. It is about 14 miles from my home and the drive takes about 25 minutes. I find the drive pleasant and relaxing just as I found my 5 mile 10 minute commute to work. I have always found driving in general enjoyable as long as the weather or traffic wasn't too bad and I wasn't driving all day. On the other hand I have never liked taking buses, planes or trains. I dislike the rigid inflexible schedules which for example require planning to arrive well in advance of the scheduled departure in order to assure you don't miss it. And I find the ride itself less pleasant with the lack of privacy and personal space found in cars. So I have doubts about the feasibility of shifting a lot of people from cars to mass transit.

No comments:

Post a Comment