Sunday, July 17, 2022

Thunderbird

As well as the hardware problems mentioned in my last post I also recently had a software problem.  Starting on Tuesday June 7, 2022 the default Windows 10 email program (Version 16005.14326.20970.0) starting displaying some of my received emails as unreadable markup language gibberish. Strangely my oldest machine using the default Windows Vista email program was still able to display these emails in a human readable format. Some internet research provided no clue as to what was going wrong or how to fix it.  So I decided to try the free email program Thunderbird.

Downloading Thunderbird was easy but getting it to communicate correctly with my Aol email server was a bit aggravating. If you make a mistake you can get into an unfixable state which requires erasing the Thunderbird folder in an obscure Windows directory and starting over. However with the help of considerable internet research and trial and error I eventually got things working.  Once set up correctly Thunderbird seems to work fine. The problematic emails are now readable.

So this problem ultimately wasn't a big deal. However it left me a bit annoyed with Microsoft. It is not to their credit that the Windows Vista email program seems to be superior to the Windows 10 one.  As well displaying emails correctly I prefer the whole user interface.  I much prefer the Windows Vista photo gallery program as well.  It seems like Microsoft figures that it doesn't pay to spend too much money on these sorts of basic functions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment