Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Norm Thompson RIP


Norm Thompson is a mail order clothing brand which is being discontinued.  Apparently their parent company Bluestem Group announced this back on January 31, 2019 but I didn't get the word until a few days ago when I received in the mail their "Final Sale" catalog.  I was a bit sad to learn they were closing because I have been wearing their "Shikari" shirts for many years.  Judging by old photos my mother started giving them to me in 2003. I like shirts with front pockets to help hold some of the junk I carry around and the Shikari shirts have two so they quickly became my favorite shirt.  Although I continued wearing other shirts for some time as my mother was only giving me a few shirts a year.  In fact I was a little surprised to find a photo of me wearing a different shirt as late as 2013.  However in recently years I have worn the Shikari shirts almost exclusively.      

Norm Thompson mostly sold women's clothing but they did have a small men's section in their catalogs. Some of their offerings are being picked up by Appleseed's, a Bluestem brand which sells women's clothing exclusively.  Perhaps another Bluestem brand which sells men's clothes (such as Blair or Haband) will pick up the Shikari shirts.  If not I do have about 40 of them at this point which is enough to last me for some time.

The photo was taken July 2007 in a sleeper compartment on an Amtrak train in Florida.  Around the time the train ran into a flatbed truck someone had managed to get hung up on the rails at a grade crossing.  Fortunately no one was seriously injured but we had to finish our trip by bus.  It shows me wearing a short sleeved (there is also a long sleeved version) Shikari shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment