Sunday, March 3, 2024

Leave a Light On

 I got my monthly gas and electric bill a few days ago and was wondering why my electric use was up 64.6%.  Eventually I thought to check my basement.  It wasn't obvious from the top of the stairs (although it was night) but as I started down it became apparent that there was a light on.  Which I eventually located in a far corner.  I don't go down in my basement much so it could have been burning for months.  This was a little annoying as I have done this before.  I believe I actually checked a few times but only from the top of the stairs.

Assuming a 100 watt bulb this is 2.4 KwH a day.  Which amounts to about $.50 a day which isn't a huge amount amount but does add up.  This by itself doesn't explain the full increase in my bill.  Another factor is the billing period was 33 days this year as opposed to 29 days last year which the utility didn't adjust for.  This still doesn't account for the entire increase so possibly there was some other factor.      

 Anyway if you have an attic or basement or closet that you don't use much and that has lights in it it seems to be a good idea to check every so often that you haven't left a light on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment